Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Oven Roasted Sweet Potato Fries {Recipe}

Mr. Wonderful LOVES sweet potatoes. I don't. Never have. But Yukon Gold, Russet, Fingerling, and all the others...I'll eat those kind of potatoes any day ; ) But just because I don't like sweet potatoes doesn't mean they are eliminated from being a side dish during meal time in our home. Most of the time I make them mashed, but this week I made sweet potato fries...

The hubby LOVED them. And when I say loved them, he woofed them down barely taking a breath in-between bites. Ha! Since I didn't try them, I can't give you my opinion on how good they were, or were not - but I have quite a picky eater and when he raves about something and then asks for me to make them more often, they must be yummy : ) If you would like to make them, here is the recipe....

Sweet Potato Fries Recipe {adapted from Ali of Gimme Some Oven}

Ingredients:

  • 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, rinsed and dried
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp. smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp. coarse salt
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. freshly-cracked black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne (optional)


- I have a tendency to throw in a little bit more of "this or that" and substitute spices if I don't have on hand what the recipe calls for - so in the case of these sweet potato fries, I improvised a bit.

Method:

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Carefully cut the potatoes into 1/4″ thin strips, or to your desired thickness and length. Then place in a large bowl, and toss with the remaining ingredients (oil and spices) until potatoes are evenly coated.

Then spread out the potatoes evenly on a baking sheet prepared with parchment paper or silicone baking sheet. (Try not to overcrowd the sheet, or have multiple layers of fries — you want them to be roasted, not steamed.)

Place in oven and cook for 20-25 minutes, turning the fries once or twice during that time to cook evenly. (May take more or less time, depending on the size and thickness you cut the fries.) Remove once the edges slightly begin to brown and fries begin to crisp.

Ilah couldn't resist getting her hands on a sweet potato fry while I was taking pictures ; ) I was reluctant for her to have some because of the spices but daddy said, "let's see if she likes them". At first she was chowing down and I was shocked that the spice didn't faze her....then by the fourth fry, she put her fingers in her mouth and started gagging!....like mother, like daughter ; ) I swapped out those sweet potato fries for other delicious treats and she gladly moved on from one thing to the next : )

It's Friday!!! Hope you all have a great weekend!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...