Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Preparing to Pack My Hospital Bag

This morning was quite productive! Although I'm just approaching 29 weeks, I have an "A-type personality" and like to be "early AND overly" prepared for things so I did the following today:
  • In preparing for the birth of our little girl I made an appointment for the husband and I to take a tour of the hospital's labor and delivery and family center care areas. The tour is designed to help us get comfortable with the environment that we will be in when delivery day comes. It's a one hour tour and we will also be able to ask questions we may have regarding the hospital experience.
  • I researched pediatricians and found one just a few miles from our house. I found some reviews online that noted how great their offices are {they have 3 different offices which are all close to us}. They offer an “Expectant Parent Open House” and I made an appointment at the location closest to us to get acquainted with their office and the few pediatricians that will be there to meet with expectant parents and answer any questions we may have.
  • I phoned my insurance provider to inquire about labor and delivery coverage {just so there are no unaware financial "surprises" later}.
  • I comprised a list of essential items to pack in my hosital bag for when "that time" comes! Now that I'm in my third trimester, and knowing that there's the possibility {even though it's slim} of going into early labor, I want to start getting my bag together now. While although the list may seem a bit lengthy I don't want to omit anything on it because I'd rather be overly prepared and have a peace of mind knowing that I have many comfort items than be underprepared and be lacking items that I wish I would have brought.


My Perfectly-Packed Hospital Bag:

  • Birth plan and copy for hospital/Dr. Insurance info, pre-registration hospital forms, completed birth certificate form
  • Overnight toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, hair brush, face moisturizer, body lotion, make-up, deodorant)
  • Comfy pj's {and oversized t-shirts} to wear aside from the hospital gown after labor
  • Non-slip socks (4-5 pairs cause I like fresh socks!) and slippers
  • Light robe? Maybe
  • Underwear and heavy flow sanitary pads {will use the undies and pads that the hospital provides if I like them. If not, I have my own!}
  • My own pillow
  • Towel and washcloths
  • Hair ties/headband/clips
  • Chapstick
  • Breast pads
  • Magazines and/or a cd player/ipod
  • Snacks/mints/water/drinks
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Toilet paper
  • Cell phone and charger
  • Laptop {check to see if the hospital has free WIFI otherwise will leave the laptop at home
  • A camera that is fully charged with plenty of room on the memory chip. A videocamera too? Undecided
  • A comfortable change of clothes to prepare for visitors/going home. A few sportsbras – no underwire for me, thanks!
  • Pen & paper for questions I may want to ask the doctor or the pediatrician since I might not remember all of them off the top of my head
  • A plastic bag so that I can put anything dirty in it
  • Valuable advice from a mother: Take each and every pacifier and nasal aspirator from the hospital you can get your hands on. You will never purchase ones that are better than those provided by the hospital

FOR HUSBAND:

  • Cash for parking/Change for the vending machine
  • Slippers, change of clothes, and hygiene products as he will be able to stay the night with me

FOR BABY:

  • A coming home outfit for the little one, along with a swaddle blanket, hat, mittens, socks {and a pretty hair bow for pictures!}. As well as diapers and wipes and a bottle - and a few extra outfits just in case
  • Boppy pillow
  • Properly installed infant car seat ready for her first ride home!

Although this is already quite an extensive list, if you are a mom who has "been there/done that" please let me know if there is anything that I may have left out that I should add to the list. And while I may seem like I'm packing for a mini-vacation I won't be delivering too far from the airport so who knows...maybe I'll jaunt off to some tropical island right after pushing out my bundle of joy. Ha....Wishful thinking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...