Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Decorating Cookies With Royal Icing {The Easiest Cookies To Make When Starting Out}

If you are like me, and you've looked at cookies decorated with royal icing and have wanted to attempt them yourself, I want to tell you what I think are the easiest {and the cutest} cookies to start out making. The cookie cutter you'll need is a heart shaped one:


For more of my tips, read this post.


I say the heart shaped cookie cutter because to me, they are the easiest shape to initially work with. Yes, easier than a circle - to me, far easier. {Side note: Here is a tip for getting a near perfect circle...since cookies spread just a little after baking, once they have cooled, take your circle cookie cutter and using a food safe marker, outline the circle onto your cookie and then go back over that circle with your icing}. Back to hearts....for just a basic heart cookie, you simply outline and flood - and whether the cookies are all done in just one icing color, or in multiple colors, they look adorable:










Adding some sanding sugar makes them pop all the more.




I made these heart shaped cookies as a gift. I packaged them in a cute tin {by Paula Deen} that I purchased at Michaels. All of those heart shaped cookies above fit into this tin!....






With Halloween a few months away, I've started thinking about cookie designs - and packaging ideas. Normally I package my cookies like this:






A few days ago I started perusing the web for other ideas. And I pinned these:




I've been teetering with ordering some labels. I think they are a cute touch. I just don't know what I would put on them. Thoughts?....




How sweet is this cookie basket to give as a gift?!....




Halloween cookies inside of a glassine bag - decorated so cute!....




After seeing these jars full of mini's, I purchased some of those jars myself {$2.99 at Ross}....




Another cute idea is cookies stacked inside of a plastic tube....




A variety of cookies made up this pretty presentation! Who wouldn't love to receive this tin of assorted decorated yummy's in the fall!?....




Having a party? This display of heart shaped cookies inside of an apothecary makes a delicious statement....












I love the small compotes with the cookies inside. And the cellophane envelopes holding a cookie inside - another cute idea.....












Below is a simple and cute packaging idea. Go here for the tutorial : )




How AMAZING is this large package of a variety of cookies, wrapped impeccably!!...




Speaking of wrapping, how about some delicious cookies on the inside, and a beautifully wrapped package on the outside...




And here we are again, circling back to hearts....I think this idea is darling. Cookies inside of a teacup!....




1 comments:

logan said...

Are you still making cookies? and if so,do you do this for a business? I'm looking for cookies for my son's 3rd birthday, construction theme. I've looked on etsy, and think it's too expensive to pay for only a dozen cookies. I've followed you since Ilah was born and see that you make lots and lots of cookie with royal icing. As much as I would love to do this myself, I just don't think I'm up for it. Or if you have any tips, and your favorite recipes to use, I can give it a try myself. HOw long do you usually plan to get an entire set of cookies done? So how car in advance can I make them?? If you're interested, can you email me at keylomapus [at] gmail [dot] com. Thanks, and hope you don't mind me asking. I was looking for something local that I could pick up possibly.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...