Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

The Transition from the Bassinet to the Crib!

Ever since Ilah was brought home from the hospital, she has spent her nights sleeping in our bedroom, in a bassinet. I was unsure if she would take well to it, as I've heard mixed reviews from other mom's whose infants either hated it or loved it.

Well, Ilah was a baby who loved it. And so did I.

It seems to me that a well made, comfortably padded bassinet is the ideal transition from what the baby's sleep in while in the hospital {I call them plastic bins!}. Being that Ilah was delivered by c-section, our stay in the hospital was 5 days, so she had began getting aquainted to sleeping in a small space. Transitioning her to a bassinet at home seemed to provide her with a familiar feeling, which I can only assume is comforting for a new baby. {I wrote a post about the bassinet here}.

As much as I loved Ilah sleeping within arms reach of me at night, I began to notice that she was beginning to out-grow her bassinet. She's getting to be pretty long and because she hates to have her arms tucked in when being swaddled, any time she stretches them out or flairs them around, she hits the inner sides of the bassinet. Needless to say, the time has come for her to sleep in a bigger space. It seemed to corelate to the pediatrician's advice as well...to transition the baby out of his/her bassinet between 2-3 months of age.

So on Saturday, Ilah left mommy and daddy's room....

And slept for the first night in her own room, in her crib!....

Ilah was due for a 12:30 a.m feeding that night so after I changed her, I gave her a warm bottle, burped her and then rocked her to sleep. As I got up to lay her down in her crib for the night, I looked at Dele {who didn't want to miss that moment} and I said, "here it goes!". When I layed her down, she didn't even move!

We attached The Sleep Sheep to Ilah's crib and turned on the "heartbeat" sound {and set it to manually shut off after 20 minutes or so}. I'm not sure we even needed to utilize The Sleep Sheep {as she went to sleep on her own, and stayed asleep, last night without it}. I think as with any first time parent, you just test things out and see what works, and what doesn't need to be done, as you go.

We had purchased a night light for Ilah's room earlier that day but when I plugged it in and turned it on, it was pretty bright. So instead, we turned on the light in her closet and cracked the door just a tiny bit.

So far, Ilah has slept wonderfully in her crib for the past two nights. Saturday night she slept for 5 hours straight. The transition was way more smoothe than I thought it would be! We were so proud of her!!

Since Ilah is now sleeping in another room, so begins the use of a baby monitor! We positioned it above her crib on one of the decorative wall sconces in her nursery and pointed it down to give us a perfect view into her crib!

We love the infant monitor that we purchased. It's a color monitor that allows us to see, and hear, the baby both day and at night. I admit it. I stared at it quite a bit during the night and in the morning.


I will also begin placing Ilah down for her naps in her crib now. Getting to this stage makes me realize how quickly our little baby is growing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...